Grey Jackal Fan-Supplements
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey Jackal Fan-Supplements

Where RPG fans can share ideas and work together to create the sourcebooks that the companies never will.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Abyss Guide now has a 4-page Character Sheet, and 6 pages of add-ons!

After a temporary hiatus, the Grey Jackal is back in action!

The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Empty
PostSubject: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 pm

So, basically this is intended to be a shorter NPC description. I used the Dark Ages books' method of giving just a few essential traits and that's it, because that's all I think this NPC needs to be useful to an ST. What I want to do with this is extend it to maybe 3 or 4 paragraphs, but make it so that basically any other NPC could the Casuli in disguise--as in the Casuli's real identity is unknown or unimportant (as far as inspiring a good Story goes, anyway).

The Casuli
Possibly a Cainite of unknown generation, sire unknown (if any), walker on an unknown Road
Nature: unknown, possibly Enigma
Demeanor: Monster/Capitalist
Embrace: unknown, possibly the 17th or 18th Centuries
Apparent Age: indeterminable
The Casuli is a mysterious figure that appears randomly in Lasombra-heavy kindred populaces and rarely in cities known to be inhabited by the reclusive Kiasyd. He wears a black cloak, keeps his face constantly hidden in shadows, and is known for being extremely enigmatic and unsettling during interactions with others. His main goal is the accumulation of all Abyssal lore he can find, including knowledge on Abyss Mysticism. He is said to be an unprecedented master of Obtenebrous powers, able to conjure items from shadows and summon (or banish) almost anything he wants into the Abyss. When pressed in physical confrontations, he also displays a modest level of familiarity with Necromancy, and has been known to summon corpse slaves directly from the shadows to fight for him. The latter, however, is something few people, if any, know, as rarely does one survive a conflict with the Casuli.

Last edited by Gattison on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://gattison13.deviantart.com/
valismedsen

valismedsen

PostSubject: Re: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Okay, this is an interesting concept. I'd extend the description with stories of a few survivors of encounters with the Casuli, or even some more rumors.

Also, explaining how exactly he accumulates abyssal knowledge might be helpful. Does this mean he destroys Abyss Mystics who resist him? Is he aggressive, stealing abyssal books? Or he simply talks?

One way of keeping things interesting and open is saying that he does a little of everything, being gentle and civilized, quietly exchanging ideas on a encounter with a vampire, and known to have destroyed and stolen everything belonging to another vampire.

Perhaps more clearly hinting that he might not be a vampire, but perhaps a ghost or other creature might be interesting.

Also, if his possible Embrace is the 17th or 18th Centuries, then that means there's no report of his activities before, right? Is there a particular reason you chose so?
Back to top Go down
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

PostSubject: Re: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 9:53 pm

I like what you're thinking, it's pretty much the direction I was intending to take here, so that's very good.

I would actually like to clearly hint that he may not even be a Cainite, but was wondering if that was too similar to the Capuchin. I say fuggit though, people will think it's cool or cheesy, but will realize that every clan can have their own "Capuchin/Casuli" type.

As for the "possible" date of his Embrace, I was actually planning on working in some kind of angle where the "name" Casuli doesn't appear until around the 17th or 18th Centuries, although, when all is said and done, there is no clear evidence that this character did not go by another name previously, either, so nothing can be nailed down as fact.

This is supposed to be one of those frustratingly vague characters that is supposed to make the reader believe that we have some HUGE conspiracy involving this character.... y'know... if our writing skills are up to it and all, lol.
Back to top Go down
Anda

Anda

PostSubject: Re: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:41 am

I think I understand what you are aiming for with this character, but in my opinion it is not enough as it is now. Like Valis said, is he hostile or friendly? Is he a thief or a trader? Is there anything more to this guy than just a loose concept?
With that being said, I think you can make this concept into a really cool one, God knows you got the mind and the writing skills for it. I really recommend you to read about "Anne of Lilies" on page 74 in Victorian Age:Companion. I think that story can inspire you and show you another way to go about this kind of mysterious NPC.
Back to top Go down
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

PostSubject: Final Draft?   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 1:37 am

So, I added a bit to it, what do we think now? I'm kinda tired now, so what did I miss?

The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss:
Back to top Go down
Anda

Anda

PostSubject: Re: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:56 am

I liked it much better now. I think that the Necromancy-powers are unnecessary since we already have heaps of NPCs with necromancy and we might wanna be careful so we dont send out the signals that most Abyss Mystics have necromancy or needs necromancy to be considered cool. But that's just what I think and if u wanna keep it, then go for it. Smile
Yeah but like I said, I like it much better now and I think it's a cool NPC to have in the book. I've actually been playing with the idea of using Laguna de la sombra as his haven, an idea that I don't know if I will go through with since the idea is very vague at the moment. Smile.
Back to top Go down
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

PostSubject: Re: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Anda wrote:
I liked it much better now. I think that the Necromancy-powers are unnecessary since we already have heaps of NPCs with necromancy and we might wanna be careful so we dont send out the signals that most Abyss Mystics have necromancy or needs necromancy to be considered cool. But that's just what I think and if u wanna keep it, then go for it. Smile
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too.

Quote :
I've actually been playing with the idea of using Laguna de la sombra as his haven, an idea that I don't know if I will go through with since the idea is very vague at the moment. Smile.
That's a great idea, actually, I like it. I think you should go for it... and if it happens to not fit with his story, then we can make it a "rumor" instead of "truth."
Back to top Go down
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

PostSubject: Re: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 11:56 pm

This should be The One...

What do we think now? Done? Any final suggestions or ideas or complaints? One last chance....

EDIT: btw, I changed the very last paragraph only this time around. I hopefully left room for allowing Necromancy, but left it vague enough where it could also be a form of possession through the Abyss or something.

The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss:
Back to top Go down
Anda

Anda

PostSubject: Re: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Like it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss   The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Casuli, Avatar of the Abyss
Page 1 of 1