Grey Jackal Fan-Supplements
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey Jackal Fan-Supplements

Where RPG fans can share ideas and work together to create the sourcebooks that the companies never will.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Abyss Guide now has a 4-page Character Sheet, and 6 pages of add-ons!

After a temporary hiatus, the Grey Jackal is back in action!

CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 4:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

List of stuff in Chapter:

Abyssal Locations
The Congo
The Black Magister
Laguna de la Sombra, the Lake of Shadows
Mexico City, Mexico
Monçada's Lair, Madrid, Spain

Still Unwritten
Castel d'Ombro
The Dark Monastery
Zadkiel's Well & Caridad's Garden
The Falcon Maasai tribe's area in northern Tanzania

Supposedly a section on The Abyss, including
- What is it?
- What does it do?
- What's inside of it?
- The Abyss and the Lasombra Antediluvian
- Where does it connect to? (see Attachment)
- (most of the above should be able to be answered to some extent by the following excerpt from Possessed's posts, on the WW forum. See Spoiler #1)

Abyss Mysticism in Your Stories
- various scenarios/situations to inspire or be used by ST's.
- we should also probably get somebody to discuss the mood and "theme" of Abyss Mysticism as well, maybe

Merits & Flaws
- the obvious ones and some new ones

In-Character Materials
- books about Abyss Mysticism, to be used in Stories
- some artifacts or something would be cool too (...like, what would happen if you stole a brick or rock from the Castel D'Ombro in Sicily? would it carry a piece of "Abyssal taint" with it?)

Spoiler #1:

Last edited by Gattison on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added new Abyssal Locations; Added Agathe/Mytho's 2nd Map)
Back to top Go down
http://gattison13.deviantart.com/

AuthorMessage
Gattison
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 5:35 pm

List time!

1. You're right, I do that alot. Fixed it. =)

2. It should be unclear if the author was part of the cabal of mystics. And yes, he wrote it, but they copied it and circulated it. Making it unclear if he was a part of the cabal means there were three parties possibly involved in the writing of this book: Carrionis, the cabal and the Angellis Ater (who may or may not have been). The ST could come up with all sorts of twists this way, by saying Carrionis was an infernalist and/or Angellis Ater who purposely gave the book to the innocent cabal to be spread among mystics; or by saying that Carrionis and the cabal were both innocent of infernalism, but the Angellis ater tricked them. Or by saying that Carrionis actually formed the cabal, and they were all Angellis Ater. It would all depend on how the ST wants to balance Abyss Mysticism with Infernalism in their Story.

3. I intentionally avoided labeling it as definitely an Angellis Ater product because I didn't want to label the book itself as definitely infernal, I wanted the book to be borderline, and mostly up to the ST on how they want to use it.

4. I do not believe all Angellis Ater are Abyss mystics, no. I do believe there is a high probability that Angellis Ater would pursue Abyss Mysticism if they found out about it because they would hope the infernal rumors about it are true. Infernalists have no reason to shy away from Abyss Mysticism. I believe what the Angellis Ater actually do lies more along the lines of Dark Thaumaturgy, with the occasional similarity to Abyss Mysticism because of their familiarity with darkness--which is the main reason they joined with the Baali n the first place, isn't it? But making Angellis Ater and Abyss Mysticism synonymous? I would have to disagree with you. =(

5. The purpose of the mysterious cabal is to provide a bit of a cushion between the infernalists and the actual book. This way an ST could say that Yes, the cabal was infernal, or actually WAS the Angellis Ater, so the book will doom the player, or No, the cabal wasn't infernal, so the book can teach you Abyss-ism. The ST could also say it's a trap intended to lure Abyss mystics into infernalism. All those scenarios are possible now since I didn't define them.

6. Okay, you caught me, the Cardinal is supposed to be the Cardinal of Maghreb I made (who is Mediterranean and has an Occult Library, and whom I've also mentioned as active during the 18th Century), and the reference to Mediterranean Lasombra was supposed to be to Lasombra pirates, like Esperanza Lucifer or other possibly infernal Lasombra pirates. Iirc, alot of Lasombra pirates and the Dark Magister were very active in the Mediterranean, weren't they? I figured that be an easy wayconnect the dots to a character who could actually have the book for someone to steal/find/return/whatever.

7. I could definitely change the source of the Cardinal's copy, if you think that would help, and having something to do with the Society of the Leopold would be a really good idea, I think.

8. I also like your idea about mentioning how the Sabbat Inquisition views the book, that's a good idea, too.

9. So, let me try to update this book's write-up a bit and see if I can't make it more appealing. Also, what do you say now that I explained everything? Obviously the fact that I needed to explain it all means I should make it more clear, and expand the description just a bit more at least.

10. Finally, what about how the book works? Did you pick up on all the subtle hints about how using the book will basically release titanic shadow-demons on the universe?
Back to top Go down
Anda

Anda

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Well I was
a strong skeptic to the Angellis Ater being Abyss Mystics too, but Agathe
presented a really long and very strong theory as why they would be (it's on
page 2 in the NPC topic). You never answered him, or debated the topic further.
Personally he convinced me that Moncada is a Angellis Ater and that the entire fraction
is Abyss Mystics.
They are addicted to Obtenebration, not Daimoinon or Dark Thaumaturgy.

Yeah, I also get the get the impression that there was a lot of Lasombra
pirates in that region, so it makes sense to me now, like it. Smile Maybe add something
about one might fear that the dark tomb was onboard on the Devil's Darling or even
the terrible Dark Magister. But that's just my opinion, personally like to read
stuff that ties already existing stuff together with new stuff rather than
vague unknown ships.
Oh, and it was clear to me all along that it was your Cardinal, I liked that Smile

Did I pick up on the subtle hints about how the book works? To be honest, not
really. You can probably make that a little bit stronger. I dig the fact that
it only covers the "things" in Italy, leaving a possibility of that
it might differ. Very Happy And again, like the concept heaps. In game, such a book
could work as a in-game abyssal bestiary!

And hey, Merry Christmas! Hope you get heaps of gifts! I'm personally gonna try
to sit in Santa's lap!
santa rendeer elephant
Back to top Go down
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Alright, well, the first thing I did was go back and re-read the posts concerning Angellis Ater and Abyss Mysticism. Agathe makes a good point, of course, and so I think we should mention this somewhere in the book, if only for the connection to Abyss Mysticism.

As for the Cardinal actually having gotten the book from a ship we've heard about, I guess. I thought it might start getting too cheesy if I name-drop every chance I get. I think I would rather have her obtain the book from someone on the Devil's Darling, rather than the Dark Magister, since I don't want to imply infernalism with the Cardinal, just an interest in the Abyss (ST can take it from there). So... yeah...

Alright, I'll make details of the book deeper, to get my point across better.

Thanks for your help, and Merry Christmas to you, too! farao cherry scratch
Back to top Go down
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Question: Isn't there a Flaw called "Pariah" or something, where few, if any organized vampires want anything to do with your character? Like all the local vampires think your a piece of shit? I think it would make a good addition to our list of Abyssal Merits & Flaws, but I can't find it.

I wrapped up the "Abyss Mysticism in your Stories" section, here's the tail end of that section:
Spoiler:
And here's the tail end of the Merits & Flaws section, as well two more Flaws I customized for Abyssal games:
Spoiler:
Both of these sections should now be completely finished, meaning Chapter 4 is a couple steps closer to being done as well.
Back to top Go down
Anda

Anda

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 am

Yes I wanna say that I remember a flaw like that... I just dunno where I saw it. Have you checked the main reversed Vampire the Masquerade book?

Nice work adapting the merits/flaws to fit an abyssal story!

I think I saw a pretty suiting Merit as well that I saw in the Road of Sin-book, page 73. Maybe it can be re-written as well? Check if you like it or not.

Unshockable (1-pt. Merit)
Sinners, with the notable exception of the followers of the Path of Pleasure, are not the sort of creatures who flinch away from much of anything. You not only don't look away, you barely react. Some incident in specific or simply the cumulative weight of your experiences has rendered you completely devoid of even the slightest trace of shame and you are constitutionally incapable of feeling revulsion, pity and even horror, no matter what abhorrent acts you might witness - or participate in. Of course, empathy is also not your strong point. You enjoy a -2 modifier to the difficulty of any Coviction/Instinct rolls stemming from circumstances most Sinners would find trying, such as close association with extremely pious followers of the Via Caeli or particularly obnoxious adherents of the Via Regalis, post-frenzy cleanup or exposure to most Screamer ritual activity. You suffer a +2 difficulty modifier to any rolls involving Empathy, however.
MET: You are two Traits up on all Conviction/Instinct tests in the kind of cicumstances listed above. However, you are two Traits down on all tests employing the Empathy Ability. This does not include Discipline use unless it seems especially appropriate to your liability - using Auspex to read how someone is feeling would be more difficult, for example, but not reading the impressions off of a mundane object.
Back to top Go down
Anda

Anda

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 1:24 pm

I saw that Abyss Mysticism in Your Stories needed some filling up. I don't know what you think about this... I'm very open to the idea of not using it, but I thought I would atleast give the subject a try.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Anda

Anda

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 6:57 am

ah ded gum it, just saw your little sum up containing abyssal science. I really need a newer updated version of our pdf. When is the next one hitting the streets?
Back to top Go down
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 2:35 pm

maybe next week, especially since you mentioned it. I just have a few more adjustments to make and then I'll make the PDF soon. You and anarch have been doing good wwork, btw. thanks =)
Back to top Go down
Gattison
Admin
Gattison

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm

I added your piece an the Abyss and science to the Abyss-in-your-Stories section. elephant

Also, I stumbled across an actual explanation of Zadkiel's Well, so I went ahead and wrote that because I said I would.
Zadkiel's Well:
Also, here's the new Abyss + Science paragraph. =):
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling   CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CHAPTER 4 - Casting Shadows: Storytelling
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2